St Mary and All Saints
South Kyme lies offf the beaten track.
Three great families dominated the village from the 12th century until the time of Henry VIIi.
A Sherrif of Lincoln, Philip de Kyme founded a Priory of Austin Canons and a small part of its massive cross shaped church still survives.
All that remains is the church, St Mary and All Saints and much of that was rebuilt in the early 19th century.
The Church is a high building with no traditional tower or spire. The great
porch has a fine entrance arch under a niche with a worn sculpture of the
Coronation of the Virgin.
A wall monument supported by figures of Time and Death is in memory of a Parish Clerk's son who after being apprenticed to a tailor wnet to London and made his fortune. After his death in 1711, the poorfolk of his native village had much to thank him for and praise the name of Marmeduke Dickinson.
When the church was restored in 1805 the familiy vault of the Tailboys was uncovered. Inside coffins of a man and threechildren were discovered surprisingly one coffin had been filled with spirit which had preserved the childs body intact.
Submit details of your
78 High Street, Boston,
Lincolnshire UK PE21 8SX
Telephone +44(0)870 2413915
Fax +44(0)870 2412385
|This Page is supported by:|